If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 head of cabbag (about 2-21/4 lbs). tought outer leaves and core removed
- add 1 pound lean ground beef
- add 1/2 cup cooked white rice
- add 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- add salt to taste
- add 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- add one 14-ounce can sauerkraut, drained
- add 1-liter bottle ginger ale
- add 12-ounce bottle chili sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan cover the cabbage with water, bring to a boil, and cook for 30 minutes. Drain, and cold water over the cabbage until it is cold enough to handle. Remove 8 large outer leaves, cut out and discard 1-2 inches of the tough rib on each leaf, and pat the leaves dry. Chop the remaining cabbage. In a bowl, combine the beef, rice, egg salt to taste, and the pepper. Roll up one-eighth of the beef mixture in each cabbage leaf. In the bottom of a lasagna or roasting pan, spread on-half of the shredded cabbage, and top it with on-half of the sauerkraut. Arrange the cabbage rolls, seam side down, on top of the sauerkraut,and top them with the remaining shredded cabbage and sauerkraut. In a large bowl, whisk together the ginger ale and the tomato sauce, and pour the mixture over the rolls. Put the pan on top of the burners, and bring the liquid to a boil. Cover the pan tightly with foil, and bake it for 2 hours in the preheated oven.