Now that the weather is cooler, it's time to enjoy a hearty tummy-warming dinner. This is our favorite recipe for Swiss Steak and we are sure it will become yours too!
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1-1/2 to 2 lb. round steak approx. 1 inch thick,
- add cut into serving portions
- add 1 tsp. salt
- add 1/2 tsp. pepper
- add 1/4 cup flour
- add 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- add 1 large onion, chopped
- add 2 ribs celery, chopped
- add 1 chopped bell pepper (we like the red ones best)
- add 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
- add 2/3 cup chile sauce (Heinz is our favorite)
- add 2/3 cup beef broth (Swanson makes a good one)
- add 1 tsp. chili powder
- add 1/2 tsp. sugar
- add 1/2 tsp. vinegar
- Preheat large skillet to medium and add 2 tablespoons oil. Saute the veggies including the minced garlic if you are using for about 5 minutes until softened a bit. Meanwhile season meat with salt the pepper and coat with flour.
- Remove veggies to a bowl. Add rest of oil to pan and turn heat up to high. Add the meat to the pan and brown on both sides about 2 minutes per side until well browned. Lower temperature, add back the veggies and rest of ingredients.
- Cover, and simmer on low heat 1 -1/2 hr. until meat is tender.