Grilling the tomatoes, green chilies and jalapenos gives this salsa an outdoors flavor to match the flavor of my Marinated Grilled Beef Fajitas, recipe #30388 or just served with some crisp tortilla chips. Add more green chilies and jalapenos if desired for a hotter taste.
- add 1 small red onion
- add 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- add 2 tablespoons olive oil
- add 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- add 1 large jalapeno
- add 3/4 teaspoon salt
- add 1 head garlic
- add 1 large green chili pepper
- add 2 lbs plum tomatoes
- add 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, toss tomatoes with oil, salt and pepper.
- Cut the top off the garlic head and brush with olive oil; wrap in foil.
- Lightly oil grill rack.
- Place garlic, onion slices (brushed with olive oil) tomatoes, green chili and jalapeno on hot oiled grill rack; grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until onion and tomatoes begin to char and soften and pepper skins are charred and blistered, turning occasionally.
- Transfer vegetables to a cutting board, and wrap peppers in foil to steam until cool enough to handle.
- Remove skin, stems, and seeds from the peppers; discard.
- Finely chop the peppers.
- Chop the tomatoes, onion and garlic.
- Combine peppers, tomatoes and any juices, onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic and salt in a bowl.
- If not serving right away, cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours.