Servs: 12 Prep: Cook:
"Dessert prepared with angel cake, fruit and whipped cream."
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 1/2 cups white sugar, divided
- add 2 tablespoons white sugar
- add 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, halved
- add 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- add 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- add 2 drops green food coloring
- add 1 (10 inch) angel food cake, cut in cubes
- add 1 cup orange juice, divided
- add 1 cup heavy cream
- add 1/3 cup lemon juice
- add 6 eggs, separated
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup orange juice and let stand. Oil a 10 inch tube pan.
- Beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar. Beat in lemon juice and remaining 1/2 cup orange juice. Transfer to a small saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in gelatin mixture.
- Beat the egg whites with 3/4 cup sugar until stiff. Fold hot custard into egg whites. Fold in cake pieces and pineapple. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Place cherry halves with a spoon throughout the mixture. Chill in refrigerator overnight.
- In a chilled bowl, whip cream, green food coloring and 2 tablespoons sugar with an electric mixer until stiff. Serve unmolded dessert with whipped cream.