This is a great recipe for chicken enchiladas. I got this recipe several years ago when I worked with a local celebrity chef, and this is his recipe. I have however, made some necessary changes to make it not so high in fat. And 1 enchilada will fill you up!
- add 1 can whole green chilies
- add 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- add 1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half cream
- add 3-4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- add 5 tomatoes, skinned and chopped (I don't remove the skin when I don't have the time)
- add 1 green bell pepper
- add 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- add 1 cup chicken broth
- add 2 cans cream of mushroom soup (can use lower fat version)
- add 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- add 1 medium white onion
- add 12 large flour tortillas
- add 1 (8 ounce) can of chopped green chilies
- add 3/4 lb monterey jack cheese
- add 1-2 cup longhorn cheese or medium cheddar
- add 1-2 clove garlic
- In a large heavy fry pan or skillet, melt the butter over a med.
- Add the onion and the garlic.
- Saute about 4 minutes, then add the chopped chilies, tomatoes, bell pepper, cilantro, broth and cumin.
- Let this mixture simmer over a medium low heat about an hour, stirring occasionally, uncovered (add more chicken broth if mixture gets too thick and dry).
- Remove from the heat and dip (to soften) each tortilla in the sauce, lay flat then place strips of chicken, 1-2 pieces of Jack cheese and 1-2 strips of green chilies at one end of the tortilla.
- Roll the filled tortilla and place in a lightly greased large baking dish or pan, seam-side down.
- Fill the pan with the rolled tortillas.
- Pour the sauce over all.
- Combine the soup and cream and pour over all then cover with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.