This is a wonderful soup with unusual ingredients--scallions and mushrooms! The soup has a delicate flavor, and once pureed, becomes thicker and more chowder-like. We loved this with crusty bread and some salmon on the side.
- add 4 tablespoons butter
- add 3 cups low sodium chicken broth (or for a vegetarian soup, use vegetable stock)
- add 1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- add 12 scallions
- add 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- add salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- add 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or to taste)
- add chopped fresh tarragon or chives (to garnish)
- add 8 ounces mushrooms
- Heat the butter in a large pot over moderate heat.
- Saute the scallions and garlic until tender but not too brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook 2 to 3 minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste.
- Add the stock and mushrooms and bring to a gentle boil, stirring frequently.
- Simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- Puree in batches using an electric blender or food processor.
- (If you have one, an immersion blender is the best!) Strain, return to the pot and add the cream or half& half, salt, and pepper.
- Reheat and serve garnished with chopped fresh herbs.
- Serve with a crusty loaf of French bread and a glass of wine.