"The classic pineapple upside down cake made with fresh pineapple. Serve with dollops of creme fraiche."
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/2 cup white sugar
- add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- add 1 fresh pineapple - peeled, cored and cut into rings
- add 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- add 2 teaspoons baking powder
- add 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- add 3 eggs
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 3/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Melt the butter. Brush a little bit of the butter on the inside of a 9 inch cake pan.
- Mix 5 tablespoons of the butter with the dark brown sugar and 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice. Place this mixture in the bottom of the cake pan. Arrange the pineapple rings on the brown sugar mixture in a decorative pattern (be creative). Set pan aside.
- Stir together the flour, salt, white sugar, and baking powder.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the whites until stiff but not dry.
- Beat two of the egg yolks until lemony yellow. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup pineapple juice, vanilla, and remaining melted butter. Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Gently fold in the egg whites. Pour batter over the top of the brown sugar and pineapple rings.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes then cover pan tightly with a serving dish and invert so that the pineapple side is up.