Mexican salsa recipe made with chopped fresh tomatoes, jalapeno and serano chili peppers, red onion, cilantro, and lime. Also called Pico de Gallo or Salsa Fresca.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2-3 medium sized fresh tomatoes finely diced
- add 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- add 1 jalape?o chili pepper (stems, ribs, seeds removed), finely diced
- add 1 serano chili pepper (stems, ribs, seeds removed), finely diced
- add Juice of one lime
- add 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- add Salt and pepper to taste
- add Optional: oregano and or cumin to taste
- Start with chopping up 2 medium sized fresh tomatoes. Prepare the chilies. Be very careful while handling these hot peppers. If you can, avoid touching them with your hands. Use a fork to cut up the chilies over a small plate, or use a paper towel to protect your hands. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water after handling and avoid touching your eyes for several hours. Set aside some of the seeds from the peppers. If the salsa isn't hot enough, you can add a few for heat.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Taste. If the chilies make the salsa too hot, add some more chopped tomato. If not hot enough, carefully add a few of the seeds from the chilies, or add some ground cumin.
- Let sit for an hour for the flavors to combine.