Servs: 4 Makes: tsp Prep: Cook:
Homemade crispy calamari is quick, easy and definitely worth the effort. Dip into creamy garlicky mayonnaise.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add vegetable oil, for deep frying
- add 250g plain flour
- add ? tsp cayenne pepper
- add ? tsp smoked Spanish paprika (use the traditional paprika instead)
- add ? tsp salt
- add 500g/ squid, cut into 5mm/?in rings
- add 2 eggs, beaten
- add For the mayonnaise
- add 200ml- mayonnaise
- add 1 garlic clove, crushed
- add ? lemon, juice only
- Preparation method
- For the mayonnaise, mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
- For the calamari, place enough oil in a wok, large saucepan or deep-fat fryer to come halfway up the pan. Place over a medium heat. If you're using a deep-fat fryer or have a thermometer, heat the oil to 180C/350F. If not, to check the oil is at the right temperature, drop a 2-3cm/?-1?in cube of bread into the hot oil. It should become golden and crispy in 1 minute.
- While the oil is heating, place the flour, cayenne, paprika and salt in a large sandwich bag. Drop in the squid and shake around to coat evenly. This may need to be done in two batches, depending on the size of the bag.
- Dip the floured squid into the beaten egg and then carefully drop into the hot oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes until golden. Remove from the oil and briefly drain on kitchen paper before serving with the garlic and lemon mayonnaise.