Servs: 8 Prep: Cook:
I'm a Southern girl; what can I say? Even if you don't like grits, these just might get to you.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 cups water
- add 2-1/4 cups half-half (divided)
- add 1/2 tsp salt
- add 1 cup uncooked regular grits (not instant)
- add 1 (3 oz) pkg cream cheese
- add 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- add 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- add 1/4 tsp thyme
- add 1/4 tsp basil
- add 1/2 tsp black pepper
- add 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- add 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- add 2 cups finely crushed buttery wafers (such as Waverly)
- add Oil for frying
- Bring water, 2 cups of the half-half, and salt to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat; gradually stir in grits. Return to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered over low heat, stirring often, 20 minutes or until done. Stir in cream cheese, garlic, dried parsley, thyme, basil, pepper and Parmesan. Stir a little of the grits into the beaten eggs; add egg mixture to the grits, stirring constantly. Pour into a lightly greased 13 x 9 baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for several hours (or even a day ahead).
- When ready to cook, unmold grits from the baking dish onto a piece of wax paper, or a cutting board. Cut into desired shapes. Use the remaining 1/4 cup of half-half to brush onto each piece; dip each piece in the cracker crumbs, covering well. Fry in hot oil until golden brown. I use just enough oil to cover the bottom of the frying pan.