Great appetizer and popular with both children and adults.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- add 1 egg
- add olive oil or vegetable shortening
- add 1 cup breadcrumbs
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 1 cup flour
- Cut mozzarella cheese into sticks (approximately 3*1/2*1/2-inches).
- Place flour in one bowl, the egg in another bowl and the bread crumbs and oregano in another bowl.
- Dredge each piece of cheese into flour to coat.
- Dip floured cheese stick into egg, then dredge in bread crumb mixture.
- Place on a plate in a single layer.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil or shortening, 1/2-inch deep to 350°F.
- Fry mozzarella sticks a few pieces at a time until browned on all sides (about 3 minutes).
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges or marinara sauce for dipping.
- ~NOTE~ Preparation time includes 1 hour refrigeration time.