Servs: 24 Prep: Cook:
"Living in New England, I've come to appreciate the unique qualities of our area. Many people here enjoy the flavor of maple in their recipes, and I love this adaptation of an old favorite."
- add 1 cup chopped nuts
- add 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- add 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- add 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- add 2 tablespoons hot water
- add 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- add 2 eggs
- add 1 cup sour cream
- add 1/2 cup shortening
- add FROSTING:
- add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- add 1 tablespoon maple flavoring
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in sour cream and maple flavoring. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, heat butter over low heat until golden brown. Remove from the heat; blend in confectioners' sugar, maple flavoring and enough water to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies.