Servs: 18 Prep: Cook:
"These flaky Danish nicely round out a holiday brunch. --Aneta Kish, La Crosse, Wisconsin"
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 1/2 cups cold butter (no substitutes), cut into 1/2 inch slices
- add FILLING:
- add 1 cup chopped dried apricots or cherries
- add 1/4 cup sugar
- add 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- add 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- add 1 egg
- add ICING:
- add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- add 2 tablespoons apricot nectar or maraschino cherry juice
- add 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- add 1 1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- add 1 cup chopped walnuts
- add 1 1/2 cups water
- add 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- add 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, toss butter with 3 cups flour until well coated; refrigerate for 1 hour or until well chilled. In a mixing bowl, combine yeast and 1-1/2 cups flour. In a saucepan, heat the cream, sugar and salt to 120 degrees F-130 degrees F. Add to yeast mixture with the egg; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in the chilled butter mixture just until combined (butter will remain in large pieces).
- Turn onto a well-floured surface; gently knead 8 times. Coat rolling pin with the remaining flour. Roll dough into a 21-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Starting with a short side, fold dough in thirds, forming a 12-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until firm but not stiff.
- Turn dough onto a well-floured surface; roll into a 21-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Starting with a short side, fold dough in thirds, forming a 12-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Give dough a quarter turn; roll into a 21-in. x 12 in. rectangle. Fold into thirds, starting with a short side. Repeat, flouring surface as needed. (Do not chill dough between each rolling and folding.) Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours or until firm.
- For filling, in a saucepan, bring fruit and water to a boil. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes; drain. Stir in the walnuts, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; set aside.
- Cut dough in half lengthwise. Roll each portion into a 12-in. square; cut each square into nine 4-in. squares. Spoon about a rounded tablespoonful of filling onto the center of each square. Brush edges of dough with water; fold dough diagonally in half, forming a triangle. Press edges to seal. Place 4-in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over turnovers.