This is a lovely light fruit bread that is perfect with a cup of tea, and would be nice at a bridal or baby shower or brunch. Can use any type of fruit preserve. Recipe from Tulsa World food section. ** This makes TWO LOAVES; it would be easily halved.
- add 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I like pecans)
- add 4 eggs
- add 1 cup strawberry preserves
- add 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla
- add 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1 cup butter
- add 1 1/2 cups sugar
- add 3 cups flour
- add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- add 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Blend butter, sugar, vanilla, salt and lemon juice. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Dissolve baking soda in sour cream, and add to butter mixture.
- Fold in flour, preserves, nuts and food coloring.
- Pour batter into two greased and floured loaf pans.
- Bake 35-40 minutes.
- (The photo I posted to this recipe in Oct. '05 was made with peach preserves. ;) ).