Whenever I ask what I should bring to a gathering, this is always requested! It goes well with EVERYTHING! Steak, hamburgers, chicken, pork, on sandwiches, in potato salad, on sausages (brats, dogs, polish), and on fries. It keeps well in the fridge for about a week.
- add 1 pinch sea salt
- add 1-2 cup sunflower oil ( olive oil makes the mayo a little bitter for my taste, the amount will depend)
- add 1 egg
- add 1-2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- add 2 cloves garlic
- Put the egg, garlic and salt in a food processor.
- Turn on, and whir until garlic is completely blended--I sometimes mash it first, even before adding it to the machine.
- This is very important--Add the oil in a THIN steady stream--no thicker than spaghetti, especially at first.
- Continue to add the oil in a steady stream until the mayo thickens.
- Add the vinegar and process a couple seconds more.
- Note:If for some reason the mayo does not thicken (it happens), remove the mixture from the food processor to a spouted container, put another egg into the food processor and add the previous mixture in a thin, steady stream, and it will thicken.