A wonderful rich garlic soup that is not overpowering! Served with a salad, crusty bread and a nice white wine, makes a lovely light supper.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 6-8 slices of toasted Italian bread or French bread
- add 8 cloves garlic
- add 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- add 1/2 teaspoon sage (or 2 leaves fresh)
- add 1 bay leaf
- add 1 tablespoon olive oil
- add 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
- add 2 quarts chicken broth or vegetable broth
- add fresh ground pepper (to your taste)
- add 1 pinch rosemary
- add 1/2 cup light cream
- add salt
- add 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or romano cheese
- add 3 egg yolks
- Saute garlic in oil until slightly browned.
- Heat broth and wine until hot but not boiling.
- Add garlic, oil, spices and herbs, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaf from pot and puree soup.
- Return pureed soup to pot and continue simmering.
- Add cream to egg yolks, then add a bit of soup and mix well.
- Add egg mixture to the pot and simmer for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Place a toast slice in each bowl, ladle soup over toast slice and sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!