Very rich chicken flavour.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 3-4 lbs chickens
- add 2 cups water
- add 1 tablespoon flour
- add 3 egg yolks
- add 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or chicken fat
- add 1 teaspoon sugar
- add 1 quart beef stock or bouillon
- add 1 1/4 cups cream
- add 2 tablespoons rice or barley
- add 1 tablespoon salt
- Combine stock or bouillon and water in large kettle; add sugar and rice or barley.
- Rinse chicken; drain; pat dry.
- Rub lightly with salt.
- Place chicken in bouillon kettle.
- Cover; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook slowly until chicken is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove chicken.
- Strain broth through colander, mashing rice or barley through with liquid.
- Melt butter or chicken fat in soup kettle; blend flour smoothly with it.
- Stir strained soup into fat and flour mixture.
- Let cook 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 1 cup cream; stir and bring to a gentle boil, but do not let boil.
- Beat yolks with remaining 1/4 cup cream and stir into soup.
- Add salt and pepper if needed.
- In each soup plate put a few even strips of breast of the boiled chicken.
- Pour hot soup over.
- Soup should be creamy, pale yellow, but not too thick.
- Serves 6.
- Luchows German Cookbook.