I love carrots. If I remember correctly, this one came from or was adapted from the 1970s cookbook The Vegetarian Epicure. It has sort of a sweet-and-sour taste.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 dash nutmeg
- add 1/3 cup brown sugar
- add 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- add salt
- add 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- add 3 tablespoons butter
- add 1 1/2 lbs slender carrots
- Melt 2 Tbs butter in a medium skillet and add the carrots through salt plus ¾ cup water.
- Simmer over medium-low heat, covered, 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and raise heat to high.
- Cook, stirring often, about 6-8 minutes until nearly all the liquid evaporates.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbs butter plus the vinegar through nutmeg.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until all the sugar is melted and the glaze is thick enough to coat carrots.
- Serve immediately.