These dumplings make a delicious dessert. Serve with whipped cream. It varies slightly from the other recipe posted, in that this one has lemon juice in the syrup mixture, giving it an additional flavour. It is also cooked on top of the stove instead of being baked. Another one of those comfort type of food recipes that you will find yourself turning to again and again.
- add 2 cups water
- add 1/4 cup lemon juice
- add 1 cup sugar
- add 40 g cold butter
- add 1 egg
- add 1 cup self rising flour
- add 40 g butter
- add 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- add 1 tablespoon milk
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add a pinch of salt.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the center and using a flat bladed knife, stir in the combined egg and milk to form a soft dough.
- To make syrup, place the water in a large pan with the sugar, second amount of butter, golden syurp and lemon juice, stirring over medium heat until combined and the sugar has dissolved.
- Brint to a boil, then gently drop dessertspoons of the dough into the syrup.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted into a dumpling comes out clean.
- Spoon onto serving plates, drizzle with syrup and serve immediately to 4 very lucky people with a dollop of whipped cream on top.