Servs: 8 Prep: Cook:
"This is the 1999 American Pie Council's National Pie Championship's first place winner in the Custard Pie Category."
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 3/4 cup white sugar
- add 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- add 3 eggs, beaten
- add 1 egg white
- add 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- add 2 1/2 cups scalded milk
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Mix together eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Stir well. Blend in the scalded milk. For more yellow color, add few drops yellow food coloring.
- Line pie pan with pastry, and brush inside bottom and sides of shell with egg white to help prevent a soggy crust. Pour custard mixture into piecrust. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on rack.