Mother used to make this hard sauce all the time for over bread pudding, rice pudding, steamed pudding, cinnamon rolls, pies and coffee cakes. It is an easy way to add a warm delight to a dessert...Cinnamon or Nutmeg you choose your favorite and enjoy
- add In a medium size pan:
- add 2 cups water
- add 2 cups sugar
- add 1/4 cup corn starch
- add 1/2 tsp vanilla
- add 1/2 cube of butter (butter only)
- add Either cinnamon or nutmeg to flavor
- add If its cinnamon you want 2 tbsp to really flavor it and nutmeg used one nutmeg ground fresh or 2 tbsp
- In a medium pan pour two cups of sugar and the corn starch and then pour the 2 cups of room temp water over and stir to make sure it is melting wo any lumps. Then heat on med. As it heats up you will add the vanilla and as it starts to lightly boil you add in the butter and the either cinnamom or the nutmeg.
- Both flavors are great it just depends on the type of dish you are going to top...some times you want that extra cinnamon over a piece of apple pie or a nutmeg over a bread pudding. This is easy to make and very fast about 5 min and I use it over my steamed apple pudding that recipe is also found on this site.