This is one of my favorites. Great with a crusty loaf of french bread! Would also be tasty with shrimp or scallops instead of the chicken. You can adjust the amount of red pepper flakes to your liking. The cooking time is for the rigatoni. I give directions for grilling the chicken with an indoor grill, but you can grill or cook the chicken any way you prefer.
- add 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- add 3 tablespoons flour
- add salt
- add 6 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese
- add 1 tablespoon olive oil
- add 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- add 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- add 1/4 cup prepared pesto sauce
- add 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- add 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- add 1/4 cup dry julienned sun-dried tomatoes
- add 1/8 teaspoon white pepper (or black)
- add 2 garlic cloves
- add 1 tomato
- Cook the rigatoni according to package directions.Drain, place back in the pot, and stir in the olive oil (to avoid sticking).
- Grill the chicken breasts on an indoor grill, 6 minutes per side or until juices run clear. Cut into strips.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Slowly whisk in the flour until smooth and pasty.
- Add milk gradually, whisking well after each small addition, then until no clumps can be seen.
- Add the sundried tomatoes.
- Heat over medium, whisking constantly, until heated and thick (sauce will thicken the more you cook it).
- Add the pesto sauce and mix well.
- Sprinkle the parmesan in, and whisk.
- Add the crushed garlic,chopped tomato, white (or black) pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Remove from heat, and add salt to taste.
- Pour over rigatoni, mix and serve!