If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion<br> 3/4 teaspoon salt<br> 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped<br> 4 teaspoons red-wine vinegar<br> 1 teaspoon sugar<br> 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill<br> 24 sea scallops (1 1/2 lb), tough muscle removed from
- Prepare grill for cooking.
- Make relish:
- Soak onion in 1 cup water with
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 15 minutes, then drain. Stir together onion, tomato, vinegar, sugar, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon
- salt and let stand 20 minutes.
- Drain relish in a sieve, discarding liquid, then stir in dill.
- Cook scallops while relish is standing:
- Pat scallops dry and season with
- salt and pepper. Grill scallops in
- 2 batches on lightly oiled grill rack, turning once, until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve scallops with relish.
- Cooks' notes:
- Scallops can be grilled in a hot lightly oiled well-seasoned ridged grill pan over high heat.
- To serve as an hors d'oeuvre, top each scallop with 1 teaspoon relish.