This is a once-in-a-while treat for us! The sauce can be made with red or orange peppers - its also delicious over grilled fish.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 clove garlic
- add 1 cup vegetable stock or fish stock
- add 1 small onion
- add 20 fresh large scallops
- add 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- add 2 yellow peppers
- add 3 tablespoons olive oil
- add salt & freshly ground black pepper
- add 1 teaspoon sugar
- add 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Heat 2 tbsps of the oil in a saucepan; add onion& cook gently until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add peppers, garlic& thyme and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat& simmer for 20 minutes or until the peppers are very soft.
- Puree the pepper mixture, return to a clean pan, add the cream& sugar and bring to a boil.
- Season to taste, reduce heat& simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season the scallops.
- Add remaining oil to a very hoy frying pan& sear the scallops for 2 minutes on the first side.
- Turn& cook for another minute or until just opaque in the center.
- Serve with sauce.