My guacamole is very free-form, but here are the basics: Figure about 1/2 large avocado per person. I don't care whether I'm using Haas or regular avocados - some people do. Pick ones that give to mild pressure but are not mushy. If you can't find any that are ripe, get hard ones and keep them in a paper bag for a couple of days until they ripen.
- add 1 tablespoon tomatoes
- add 1 large avocado
- add salt, use less if you'll refrigerate (you shouldn't need much)
- add 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or lime juice or balsamic vinegar
- add 2 teaspoons black olives
- add 1 tablespoon sweet onions
- add 1 tablespoon salsa
- add 2 tablespoons sour cream
- add 1 garlic clove
- add 1 teaspoon cilantro or parsley (note, some people find it vile)
- Cut the avocado in half, scoop out the flesh with a spoon, mash 3/4 of it well and chop the remaining 1/4 coarsely (I do this with the spoon, in theavocado shell, before scooping the last bit out). Mix it into the mashed portion.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap, pressing wrap firmly to surface of guacamole (or it will turncolor) and refrigerate up to 4 hours before serving.