Cheap Eats ($0-1 per person)
Servs: 8 Makes: 2 cups Prep: Cook:
Yucatán style tomato habanero hot sauce recipe. Source: http://mexicanfoodjournal.com/habanero-salsa/
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 3 very ripe tomatoes (about 1 lb.)
- add 2 habanero chiles
- add 1/2 white onion
- add 1 clove garlic
- add 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- add 1 tsp salt + to taste
- add 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Remove the stems from the tomatoes and chiles and quarter the tomatoes and onion.
- Preheat 1 tbsp. oil to medium hot. Cook the tomatoes, onion, chile and garlic until they start to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Blend the browned tomatoes, onions and garlic with the salt, vinegar.
- Heat 2 tbsp. of oil to hot. Once the oil is hot, pour the blended salsa into the hot oil to "season" it.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes to thicken and intensify the flavor.