I have long been a fan of other "poke cakes", because the fruity gelatins make the cake incredibly moist and give it a nice burst of flavor. I thought this would be a nice rendition for Halloween. It comes from Quick Cooking magazine.
- add 1/4 cup milk
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add 1 cup boiling water
- add 1/2 cup butter
- add 1/2 cup cold water
- add 12-15 candy corn (the little pumpkin ones)
- add 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- add 2 (3 ounce) packages orange flavor gelatin
- add 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package fudge marble cake mix
- add 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- Prepare and bake the cake according to package directions, using a 9X13 baking pan.
- Cool on wire rack for 1 hour.
- In small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water and then stir in cold water.
- With a meat fork or wooden skewer, poke holes in cake about 2 inches apart in all directions.
- Slowly pour gelatin over cake.
- Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- For frosting, in a small mixing bowl cream butter until fluffy.
- Beat in confectioners sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Spread over cake.
- Top with candied pumpkins.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.