This is a great way for me to get my daughter to eat a vegetable! Simple and fast this makes an elegant looking meal. I serve this on toast for lunch, or by itself with garlic bread is great as well. You can also make this with Grilled Ham Steaks, they are just not rolled up! Hope you like it as much as we do! From Company's Coming Cookbook.
- add 1 1/4 cups grated medium cheddar
- add 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- add 3/4 teaspoon salt
- add 36 fresh asparagus spears
- add 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- add 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- add 4 tablespoons prepared mustard
- add 1 1/2 cups milk
- add 12 slices of square cooked deli ham
- add 3 tablespoons butter
- Steam or boil asparagus until tender-crisp.
- Spread each side of ham with mustard.
- Lay 3 asparagus spears on each slice, alternating tips for appearance and ease of rolling.
- Roll these up and place seam side down in casserole dish.
- Melt butter in med size saucepan.
- Stir in flour slowly, then add milk.
- Stir and cook until boiling.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Stir in cheese until melted, add green onion slices.
- Stir and pour over meat rolls.
- Cover and bake in 350 F oven 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.