An Irish dish Gammon.A nice sweet and salty dish.Great for St. Patty's Day!Alternate cooking method: Fry ham in butter 3-4 minutes per side then remove ham add onions cooking till translucent, sprinkle with sugar and then with flour mix till blended in, add stock simmering for 5 minutes. Add whiskey season with salt, pepper and dried parsley. Top ham with sauce.
- add 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- add 2 tablespoons whiskey
- add salt or pepper
- add 2 tablespoons butter
- add 1-1 3/4 cup water or stock
- add 2 tablespoons flour
- add 1 small onion
- add 4 ham steaks
- Brush steaks with melted butter.
- Trim and cut into fat to prevent curling, and grill for 7-8 minutes each side.
- --To make sauce, gently fry onions in remainder of butter until cooked.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour gradually.
- Add water or stock.
- Return to heat.
- Add brown sugar and bring to the boil.
- Lower heat and simmer gently for about 3-5 minutes to cook flour.
- If sauce seems a little thick, add more water.
- Add whiskey and season to taste.
- Place ham steaks on a warmed serving platter and pour on sauce.