Here's a great recipe for crackers to use at Christmas. I've made this several ways, instead of just hamburger I've used a combination of ground deer and ground beef or ground moose and beef. You could probably use any combination of meat but I suggest adding a non-lean ground meat such as beef or pork because you don't want it to be too dry. I have cooked this on the second day and it's pretty much the same as the fourth day but you should let it sit for a minimum of 24 hours with at least one good mix during that time.
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder or 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- add 5 tablespoons mustard seeds
- add 4-5 teaspoons curing salt
- add 2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- add 1 tablespoon hickory smoke salt or liquid smoke
- add 5 lbs ground beef (or 5 lbs ground meat combination-see note above)
- 1st day: Mix all ingredients into a large bowl and refrigerate.
- 2nd day: Mix (Can be cooked on this day).
- 3rd day: Mix.
- 4th day: Form into logs and bake in oven at 140-150 F for 8 hours, 4 hours per side.