Servs: 12 Prep: Cook:
"The hazelnuts give this cake a surprising crunch. It's covered with a buttery mocha frosting. --Joylyn Trickel"
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- add 5 egg yolks
- add 1 teaspoon baking powder
- add 2/3 cup water
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- add 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- add 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- add 3/4 cup butter, softened
- add 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- add 1 1/2 cups sugar
- add 8 egg whites
- add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- add MOCHA FROSTING:
- add 2 tablespoons hot brewed coffee
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, hazelnuts, baking powder and salt. Whisk the egg yolks, water, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. In another large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest rack at 325 degrees F for 60-70 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert the cake pan onto a wire rack; cool completely. Carefully run a knife around edges and center tube to loosen; remove cake.
- In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in the baking cocoa, vanilla and enough coffee to achieve desired consistency. Frost cake.