Helen's Light Fruitcake
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 lb glace cherries (red & green)
- add 1/2 lb glace pineapple
- add 5 cups flour
- add 1 lb butter
- add 2 cups sugar (1 lb)
- add 1 teaspoon baking powder
- add 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- add 1 orange
- add 10 eggs
- add 1 lb almonds
- add 1 teaspoon almond extract
- add 1 teaspoon rose extract
- add 2 lbs sultanas
- add 1 lemon
- Clean sultanas, slice pineapple thinly, halve cherries.
- Mix and sift flour,.
- baking powder and spice and add half to prepared fruit.In a large bowl, creambutter and gradually beat in sugar.
- Add well beaten eggs and beat well.
- Foldother half of flour mixture into creamed mixture alternately with juices andbeat well.
- Add fruit to to creamed mixture. Combine mixture til thoroughlyblended.
- Split almonds and add to mixture, saving some whole for top.
- Pour mixture into cake pans which have been lined with 3thicknesses of newspaper, with top layer of greased wax paper.
- Bake cake at 275°F.
- for approximately 3 hours or til firm and until cake mixture is firm whenpressed.
- Cool on cake rack until thoroughly cold.
- Wrap in foil and store incake tins.