Detergent for the dishwasher is SO expensive. I searched the net for a home-made alternative and developed this simple recipe. We've been using it for a while now and it washes the dishes even better than the shop bought variety. The amount needed will depend on how soft your water is - we find 1 tablespoon is enough, but we're on tank water. You might need 2 tablespoons if you're on hard town water. Instead of Rinse Aid, we just use white vinegar.
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until washing soda crystals are reduced to powder.
- Store in airtight container.
- Use 1- 2 tablespoons per load in your dishwasher.
- (To save even more money, substitute Rinse Aid with white vinegar.).