This is a great recipe for the hunter that likes to make there own bologna. I use the ground sausage you find in your local gerocery store. I like the Jimmy Dean Ground Pork Sausage thats in the plastic bags. Dont use the sausage that already has casings on it. You can leave out the liquid smoke and use a maple breakfast sausage for a sweet taste. You can also use reagular beef hamburger instead of Venison if you wish. I dont like my bologna spicy hot so I dont add the red peppers. Also the only place I could find the Morton Tener Quick Salt is at my local Hardware store. I dont know why my grocery stores dont carry it.
- add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- add 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- add 1 lb ground venison
- add 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- add 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- add 1 lb ground pork (Sausage)
- add 2 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick salt
- add 1 teaspoon red peppers
- add 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Except the water, leave this to cover the mixture.
- Cover with 1 cup of water.
- Put bowl in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- It may get a brownish look to it but its ok.
- Form into 2 rolls.
- Preheat oven and bake at 350.
- Bake on cake rack or cookie sheet so grease will drop off while baking.
- Dont cover wihile Baking.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Take out of oven and let cool.
- They will look like little meatloafs but when they are cool they will cut just like bologna.
- Instead of forming them with your hands into rolls you can put them into sausage casings. Then bake as directed.