At one point, I always made homemade bread! This recipe, from the KitchenAid Recipe and Instruction book, was our favorite! When it comes out of the oven, you want to be sure to have a knife and butter handy! MMMMMMMM...homemade bread...one of life's simple pleasures! (Prep time includes two hours for rising of dough)
- add 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- add oatmeal
- add 5-6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- add 1 egg white
- add 1/2 cup honey
- add 2 packages active dry yeast
- add 1 tablespoon water
- add 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- add 1 1/2 cups water
- add 2 teaspoons salt
- add 2 eggs
- Place 5 cups flour, oats, salt, and yeast in Bowl.
- Attach bowl and dough hook.
- Turn to speed 2 and mix for 30 seconds.
- In saucepan, combine water, honey, and butter.
- Heat to 120 F to 130 F.
- On Speed 2, slowly add warm liquids to flour mixture, mixing for about 1 minute.
- Add eggs; mix an additional 1 minute.
- Still on Speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl, about 3 minutes.
- Knead on Speed 2 for 7-10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover; let rise in warm place, until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into a loaf.
- Place each loaf into a greased 8 1/2x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch bread pan.
- Cover; let rise in warm place till doubled, about an hour.
- Combine 1 TBSP.
- water and egg white.
- Brush tops of loaves with mixture.
- Sprinkle with oatmeal.
- Bake at 375 F for 40 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.