Servs: 4 Cook:
Once upon a time I had a father in law who could cook. That being said, that is about the only thing we had in common. However he made the best Mac and Cheese. I tried for ages to get him to give us his recipe. He gave me a cookbook and said the recipe is in here. Now, I can cook. That wasn't the recipe. So I Never got the blooming thing. However... This recipe from Bon Ap is much better.
- add 1 3/4 cups small elbow macaroni
- add 1 1/4 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cubed (5 oz.)
- add 2 2/3 tablespoons flour
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- add 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- add 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- add 1 1/3 cups half-and-half
- add 1 1/3 cups whipping cream
- add 2/3 cup sour cream
- add 2 large eggs
- add 3/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- add 1 1/4 cups packed extra-sharp aged cheddar cheese or Mexican blend or white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly butter 9x13x2-inch glass baking dish. Cook macaroni in large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta. Transfer to prepared dish. Mix in the cubed cheese.
- Whisk flour, salt, mustard, black pepper, cayenne pepper and nutmeg in medium bowl until no lumps remain. Gradually whisk in half and half, then whipping cream and sour cream. Add eggs and Worcestershire sauce; whisk to blend. Pour over macaroni mixture; stir to blend.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over.
- Bake macaroni and cheese until just set around edges but sauce is still liquid in center, about 25 mins. Remove from oven; let stand 10 mins to thicken slightly (sauce will be creamy).
- Servings are for main course. Serves about 10 for sides.