adopted 9/15. Note to self: Do NOT change. Adjustments: Wheat flour tortillas added, peanut oil specified and salt now optional
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- add 8 flour tortillas or wheat flour tortillas
- add salt (optional)
- add peanut oil (for deep frying)
- add 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- add 1 egg
- Brush 4 tortillas with sesame oil then some of egg.
- Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons green onions over each tortilla.
- Top each with remaining tortillas.
- Press firmly around edges and cover with plastic wrap or cover with wax paper.Place a plate on top of the cakes for 15 minutes to help seal the edges.
- Let stand until ready to deep fry.
- Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep pan to 400°F.
- Using tongs, slip tortilla cakes, one at a time, into hot oil.
- Cook, turning with tongs, to puffy and golden brown on both sides.
- Drain each cake, holding it vertically over pan.
- Drain again on paper towels.
- While hot, cut each cake into 4 to 8 wedges.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt if desired.
- Serve hot.