This receipe has been enjoyed many times on cold midwestern days. Although it comes from a frozen package of 'Chateau potato dumplings' it is still an excellent recipie. I would suggest going to a deli to get the 'hot' Hungarian paprika. In my mind this is what makes or breaks the dish.
- add 3 cups chopped onions
- add 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- add 1 cup water
- add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- add 2 tablespoons flour
- add 2 lbs beef stew meat or chopped steak
- add 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- add 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- add 1 package 'chateau' potato dumplings (optional)
- add 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- add 14 ounces beef broth
- add 2 carrots
- add seasoning salt or table salt
- add 2 tablespoons butter
- add 1 clove garlic
- Brown meat in butter and oil in skillet or pot Season with Salt Add Onions, Carrots and Garlic Cook until onions are soft Add Flour, Paprika, and Majoram Stir for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients Simmer covered for 2 hours or until meat is tender Add frozen'Chateau' potato dumplings (optional) Cover and simmer for additional 30 minutes with optional dumplings Goulash is even better when made the day before.