Like porridge and roasted meat, griddle cakes are ancient preparations. Corn griddle cakes are a simple folk food in dozens of cultures. This recipe is from the Posh on Pico cafe in Los Angeles.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1 tablespoon oil
- add 1/2 cup cooked shrimp
- add 2 green onions
- add 1/4 cup celery
- add 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- add 1 tablespoon butter
- add 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- add 3 eggs
- add 3 tablespoons flour
- add 2 garlic cloves
- add 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- Combine the corn, eggs, flour and cream in a food processor and blend until the corn is finely chopped and appears creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.Remove to a bowl.Add the shrimp, celery, onions, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet.
- For each cake, add a heaping tablespoon of the corn mixture to the skillet.Keep the cakes separated and press to flatten slightly.
- Cook over medium heat until golden brown on the bottom, then turn and cook the other side until golden, about 3 minutes total.
- Continue until all the cakes are cooked, placing them on a platter and keeping them warm.Serve as an appetizer or side dish, garnished with cilantro leaves, if desired.