Turmeric add color and chilies add heat to this superb side dish. Mound it in the middle of the Vegetable Stir-fry.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 pound long-grain white rice
- add 3 tablespoons canned chicken broth or water
- add 1 large onion, chopped
- add 2 jalapeño chilies, seeded but not deveined, minced
- add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add <B>Vegetable Stir-fry</B>
- add 2 teaspoons oriental sesame oil
- add 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- add 4 fresh ginger slices
- add 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- add <B>Rice</B>
- add 1/3 cup water
- add 2 14 1/2-ounce cans chicken broth
- add 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- add 1 teaspoon turmeric
- add 1/2 small head red cabbage, halved, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide pieces
- add 4 large carrots, peeled, sliced medium-thin on diagonal
- add Chopped green onion tops
- add 1 bay leaf
- add 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- For rice: Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add chopped onion and chilies and stir until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Mix turmeric and ground cinnamon. Add rice and stir 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, water and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Mound rice in center of platter. Sprinkle with green onions. Surround with stir-fried vegetables.
- For stir-fry: Cook beans and carrots in large pot of boiling salted water until just crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead of time. Bring to room temperature before continuing.)
- Rinse cabbage and drain well just before cooking. Heat vegetable oil in wok or heavy large skillet over high heat. Add ginger; press and stir until aromatic. Add cabbage and stir to coat with oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add broth, reduce heat to low, cover and cook 2 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to high, add green beans and carrots and stir-fry until heated through. Mix in lime juice and sesame oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard ginger and serve.