grandma made a lot of different types of Italian cookies that i can remember when i was a little girl. seeded cookies, pizzelles, s cookie and lots more. But this one was my dad's favorite cookie his mom used to make these are a great Christmas cookie with sprinkles and spice.
- add 3 cups all-purpose flour
- add 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa power
- add 1 1/2 teaspoon baking power
- add 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- add 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- add 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- add 3 eggs
- add 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- add 1 cup chopped walnuts
- add 1 cup white raisins
- add 1/2 cup butter
- add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- add 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- add 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- add 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350* F (180 degrees C) Grease cookies sheets.
- Cream the butter margarine or shortening, white sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- in a separate bowl, stir the flour, 2/3 cup cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. add flour mixture to butter mixture. if too sticky add more flour, if too dry add a little milk. add nuts and raisins mix with hands. must be of consistency to roll into little 1/2 inch balls.
- After you have cookie dough to handling consistency by adjusting it with either the flour or milk, roll into little balls, place on cookie sheet and bake for about 10-12 minutes, cookie should be firm. Do not overcook. Remove from oven, let rest on the sheet for a few moments and remove to wax paper. when cool, frost with confectioner's sugar and cocoa glaze. (Grandma use just confectioners sugar no cocoa)
- To make glaze: combine 4 cups confectioner's sugar , 1/4 cup cocoa, add about 1/2 cup milk. consistency should be of a glaze. pore small amount of glaze over each cookie (about 1 tsp.) decorate with sprinkles while glaze is still wet.