Found this quote on the back of an Italian lentil soup mix years ago... Soup does seven things: It appeases your hunger, slakes your thirst,fills your stomach, cleans your teeth, makes you sleep, helps you digest and puts color in your cheeks. Well.... it might! =) Hope you enjoy this soup. This recipe freezes well,also.
- add 1 small green pepper, coarsely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- add 1 medium onion, coarsley chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- add 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- add 1 clove garlic
- add 1 lb Italian sausage (sweet or hot)
- add 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- add 1 1/2 cups rotini pasta
- add 1 cup canned beef broth (or any of your favorite stock)
- add 2 cups water
- add 1 small zucchini, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Split casing on sausages, remove meat and discard casing.
- Brown sausage, garlic and onion in Dutch oven, over medium heat until sausage done.
- Stir frequently to break sausage apart; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, water, pasta, green pepper and parsley.
- Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini; simmer an additional 5 minutes or until pasta and zucchini are tender.
- Pour into soup bowls; garnish with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.