My family has been making this traditional Italian cookie for years. My family expects these every Christmas, but they are good anytime!
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 3/4 cup sesame seeds
- add 1/8 teaspoon salt
- add 4 tablespoons shortening
- add 3 cups all-purpose flour
- add 2 teaspoons vanilla
- add 1/4 cup milk
- add 2 large eggs
- add 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- add 4 tablespoons butter
- add 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a bowl; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, blend butter and shortening.
- Add eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, making a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a long roll, about a 1/2-inch diameter; cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Roll each piece in sesame seeds.
- Place 1-inch apart on a baking seet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Cook on wire racks.
- Store in airtight containers.