This works so nice to zip up a sandwich or try it buttered and placed on a griddle till golden brown and serve with a soup or salad.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- add 1 tablespoon salt
- add 1/2 cup warm water
- add 2 (2 1/2 ounce) packages yeast
- add 6-7 cups flour
- add 2 eggs
- add 3-4 whole canned jalapenos or pickled jalapeno peppers
- add 1/3 cup shortening
- add 1/3 cup sugar
- add 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into small piece (or shredded)
- add 1 3/4 cups milk
- Soften yeast in water.
- After scalding milk add sugar, shortening, and salt to it and stir till shortening melts. Cool to warm and add cornmeal and eggs. Then add to yeast and add 2-1/2 c flour mixing well.
- Add enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Finally add pepper and cheese, and mix just till well blended.
- Lightly grease a large bowl and place dough in turning once to coat.
- Cover and let raise 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch down divide in 1/2 and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Form into 2 round or regular loaves and place in greased pans or on greased cookie sheets.
- Let rise covered fortill doubled.
- Bake 375 for 30-35 minutes.