My mother in law made this for her family for many years. My husband just loves it when she served it warm. A little cream over it when it is warm sounds good to me. (There is no vanilla or cake mix in this recipe, if you wonder if I forget it.)
- add 3 teaspoons baking powder
- add 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- add 1 cup shortening (butter or margarine)
- add 3 tablespoons sugar
- add 3 cups flour
- add 2 cups sugar
- add 4 eggs
- add 1 cup milk
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add 1 egg at a time.
- Beat well after each egg added.
- Add milk and flour mixture alternately to creamed mixture.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour 1/2 coffeecake batter in pan, alternately with cinnamon mixture, leaving enough cinnamon mixture for top of cake.
- Bake in 9x13-inch greased pan for 1 hour at 325 degrees, or 2 greased loaf pans for 1 hour at 350 degrees, or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.