Servs: 6 Prep: Cook:
"You cant beat my moms yummy apple pie. Pretty as a picture, the golden crust is flaky and the filling has just the right amount of spices. --Anne Halfhill, Worthing, Ohio"
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- add PASTRY:
- add 1 tablespoon sugar
- add 1 cup sugar
- add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- add 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- add 2 cups all-purpose flour
- add 2 tablespoons milk
- add 5 tablespoons cold water
- add 3 tablespoons butter
- add 2 tablespoons water
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 5 1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
- add 4 1/2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- add 2/3 cup shortening
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, water, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half, making one half slightly larger.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to plate; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush with milk; sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.