This is my mother in law's recipe. I made these for my annual Christmas Brunch and they turned out great! (Prep time and cook time do not include rising time.)
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 4 egg whites
- add 1/2 cup butter
- add 4 egg yolks
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 2 packages yeast
- add 1 package lemon flavor instant pudding and pie filling
- add 3/4 cup sugar
- add 2 teaspoons sugar
- add 1 cup scalded milk
- add 1 cup warm water
- Soften yeast in warm water and 2 tsp sugar.
- Scald milk and pour over stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Add softened butter and egg yolks that have been beaten with sugar until thick and lemon colored.
- To this, add the yeast mixture and flour (about 5-6 cups)to form a soft dough.
- Let rise until light.
- Pinch off little pieces, rolling them into long strips about 8 inches long.
- Then form these strips into figure eights.
- Fill holes with lemon filling.
- Let rise again about 30 minutes and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until slightly golden in color.
- Dust with icing sugar or drizzle with icing just before serving.
- I have also made these with Blueberry Pie filling and they were delicious!