This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes or less. Serve this tangy treat with biscuits, toast, or scones. Or use it as a dessert dip or spread between the layers of a cake. Also, to be used with my Meringue Kisses! From Gourmet, 1999.
- Finely grate enough zest from lemons to measure 2 teaspoons and squeeze enough juice to measure 1/2 cup.
- In a metal bowl whisk together zest, juice, sugar, and eggs.
- Cut butter into 4 pieces and add to mixture.
- Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and cook mixture, whisking occasionally, until thickened and smooth, about 20 minutes.
- Lemon curd may be kept, chilled and its surface covered with plastic wrap, 3 days.
- Serve lemon curd warm or chilled.