Servs: 5 Prep: Cook:
This is another great dish to have either with chicken ,beef or as vegeterian. It's wonderful way for kids to eat lentil which is great source of Iron.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add Basmati rice 2 cups
- add Lentils 1 cup
- add Onion 2 medium size peeled and tinny sliced
- add Garlic 2 cloves, peeled and crushed
- add Oil 2 tablespoons
- add Butter 1/2 cup melted
- add Saffron 1 teaspoon dissolved in 4 tablespoons hot water
- add Spices:
- add cumin 1/4 teaspoon
- add ground ginger 1/4 teaspoon
- add turmeric 1/4 teaspoon
- add chile pepper 1/4 teaspoon
- add paprika 1/4 teaspoon
- add curry powder 1/4 teaspoon
- add cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon
- add salt & pepper to taste
- Clean and wash rice 5 times in warm water. Leave 1/4 inch water on top of rice add 1/2 tablespoon salt
- and let stand for 15 min.
- Wash lentil add pinch of salt, bring to boil in 2 cups of water till almost cooked.( do not over cook)
- Saute onions and garlics in oil to golden brown. Add spices and mix for 3 min.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and bring to boil for about 4 min. Drain lentil and add to mix. Steam on very low heat.
- Bring 6 cups of water to boil in non-stick pan. Add rice and boil briskly for 6 to 10 min. gently stirring 2-3 times to loosen any grains that may have stuck to bottom. Bite a few grains it should be almost soft in
- middle.Drain rice in a large calender and let aside.
- Put the pot over the medium heat and in the bottom add 3 tablespoon oil and 3 tablespoon water add 1 tablespoon of Saffron. lay a layer of rice and then add a layer of lentil, mounting the ingredients in a shape of pyramid.
- Cover and cook the rice mix for 10 min. over medium heat.
- Mix the Saffron and butter and pour over the rice mix.
- Lower the heat under rice and serve it when ready. ( from this moment usually 30 min. to 1 hr is good time)