My step-mom first served this salad and it has become a family tradition since. I always make it for holiday dinners and one year I decided to try new things as I was a little tired and bored with the regulars. I didn't make this one year, and my grown son told me that I should not mess with tradition - this salad WAS the holidays. My kids all call this 'the green stuff'.
- add 1 cup milk
- add 1 (6 ounce) package lime Jell-O gelatin
- add 1/4 lb marshmallows (16 large)
- add 1 cup Cool Whip Lite
- add 6 ounces cream cheese
- add 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- add 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- Melt the marshmallows in milk in medium saucepan over medium heat.Stir frequently.
- Pour the milk and marshmallow mixture over lime jello in a large bowl.Stir until dissolved.Stir in cream cheese with beater.Add undrained pineapple.Mix well.
- Cool in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Blend mayonnaise and cool whip into the jello mixture.